- IRF9240 is a P-channel enhancement mode silicon gate POWER field effect transistor device.
- Drain to source voltage (VDS) is -200V
- Gate to source voltage (VGS) is +/- 20V
- Gate to the threshold voltage (VGS (th)) is –2V to -4V
- Drain current (ID) is -12A
- Pulsed drain current (IDM) is -48A
- Power dissipation is (PD) is 150W
- Total gate charge (Qg) is 44nC
- Drain to source on-state resistance (RDS (ON)) 50Ω
- Rise time (tr) is 43ns
- Peak diode recovery dv/dt is -5.0V/ns
- Thermal resistance junction to ambient (Rth j-A) is 40℃/W
- Junction temperature/ storage temperature range (TJ/Tstg) is between -55 to +150℃
- Body diode reverse recovery (trr) 250 to 300ns
- Input capacitance is 1200pF
- Output capacitance is 370pF
- Dynamic dv/dt rating
- Repetitive avalanche rated
- Fast switching
- Ease of paralleling
- Simple drive requirement
- Ruggrized device design
- Low on-resistance
- Advanced power MOSFET design
- Isolated central mounting hole
- Single pulse avalanche energy rated
- SOA is power dissipation limited
- Nanosecond switching speed
- Linear transfer characteristics
- High input impedance
|The gate terminal is used to trigger the MOSFET device
|The drain is the input terminal of the MOSFET
|In the source, terminal current flows out from the MOSFET
IRF9240 field effect transistor device has a TO-247C semiconductor device package.
TO-247AC is a through-hole package made with epoxy/plastic material, this will provide higher temperature capacity and compactness for the electronic component.
IRF9240 electrical specification explanation/application note:
Here in this section, we explain the electrical specifications of the IRF9240 FET transistor, this explanation is very helpful for a better understanding of the device.
The terminal voltage specifications of IRF9240 FET are a drain-to-source voltage is -200V, a gate-to-source voltage is +/-20V, and a gate-to-source threshold voltage is -2.0 to 4.0V.
The voltage specifications of the device suggest that it had many general purposes and power applications.
The current specifications of the IRF9240 FET device have a drain current value is -12A and the current specs are the load capacity of the device.
The pulsed current value is -48A, this value is calculated at specific conditions.
The power dissipation value of the IRF9240 FET transistor is 150W, this value is mainly dependent on the device package.
Drain to source on-state resistance
The drain-to-source on-state resistance value of the IRF9240 transistor is 0.50Ω, this value is important at the circuit level.
Junction temperature/ storage temperature
The maximum temperature value of this transistor device is -55 to +150℃.
Thermal resistance junction to ambient
The thermal resistance of IRF9240 FET is 40℃/W.
The rise time value of the IRF9240 field effect transistor is 43ns.
The capacitance value of the IRF9240 FET device is 1200Pf.
The output capacitance value of IRF9240 FET is 370Pf.
Total gate charge
The total gate charge value of the IRF9240 transistor is 44nC
If you need the datasheet in pdf please click this link
IRF9240 FET have equivalent devices such as IRFP240, IRFP264N, IRF034, IRF054, IRF044, 2SJ201, and SFH9250L, each of them has almost the same electrical specifications.
The specs such as voltage specs, current specs, power dissipation, and on-state resistance value are important for the applications, so we need to check and verify the specifications of each equivalent device.
IRF9240 vs IRFP240 vs SFH9250L
In the table below, we listed and compare the electrical specifications of IRF9240, IRFP240, and SFH9250L, this comparison is very useful for the replacement process.
|Drain to source voltage (VDS))
|Gate to source voltage (Vgs)
|Gate threshold voltage (Vg(th))
|-2 to -4V
|-2 to -4V
|-1.0 to -2.0V
|Drain current (Id)
|Pulsed drain current (ICM)
|Total gate charge (Qg)
|Power dissipation (PD)
|Junction temperature (TJ)
|-55 to +150°C
|-55 to +150°C
|-55 to +150℃
|Drain to source on-state resistance (RDS)
|Rise time (tr)
|150 to 310ns
|2500 to 3250pf
|400 to 520pf
|Reverse recovery time (trr)
|250 to 300ns
|300 to 610ns
Graphical characteristics of IRF9240 FET
The figure shows the graphical characteristics of IRF9240 FET, the graph plots the drain to current vs drain to source voltage.
At the different gate to source voltage values, the drain current values increase from the lowest value to higher with respect to drain to source voltage.
The figure shows the maximum safe operating area characteristics of IRF9240 FET, the graph plots with drain current vs drain to source voltage, switching speed, on-state resistance, and temperature values.
- Used for commercial-industrial applications
- Switching regulators
- Switching converters
- Motor drivers
- Relay driver applications
- Drivers for high-power bipolar switching transistors
- High speed and low gate drive power
- Solar charger
- Solar power supply
- BMS circuits
- Battery charger circuit
- DC to DC converters
- High-power audio applications